Sunday, September 9, 2007

Distance and Displacement


Ever since I got my drivers' license this summer, I have been driving my friends everywhere. Last night my friend and I (we both live in Kaneohe) slept over at our friend's house in Hawaii Kai. This morning after we woke I drove my friend and me back to Kaneohe; however our distance travelled was MUCH greater than our displacement. First of all instead of getting on the freeway and going through town to take the Likelike exit, we went the opposite direction (the less direct route) on the Kalanianiole highway through Waimanalo and Kailua. We knew it was the longer way but we decided it would be worth because of all the scenery. Then once we got into Kailua instead of turning left onto the Pali to take us to Kaneohe, we decided that we wanted Lanikai Juice, so we turned in the opposite (negative) direction to go in to Kailua Town. Once we got our smoothies, we turned around to continue in the positive direction. I passed my house to drop off my friend since she lives past me, finally I turned back around (causing me to go in the negative direction) and drove home. I realized that even though I drove so much, my displacement would have been the same if I just took the shorter, more direct route without making so many detours. I also probably wasted a lot of gas...but it was fun!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Hi bridget! i loove your example!sorry you had to lose so much gas though.....but i must say, that was a really fun drive home!

hey, are you afraid of scissors???

Steph Chun said...

i see you driving a lot i think. heh ^.^ thats awesomeee.