Sunday, January 27, 2008

balloons!

When i was younger, like 5 years old, whenever it was one of my brothers' birthdays, i would help my mom decorate for them. She taught me how to rub balloons on my hair or the carpet and stick them to the wall. I thought it was so cool. My mom explained to me that it was because of friction, but of course I didn't fully understand it then. After doing the lab with balloons in class, I know excatly what's happening. When I rub the ballon against my hair, or the carpet, they become charged--the electrons transfer to the rubbed spot giving it a negative charge. When i bring the charged balloon towards the neutrally charged wall, the balloon attempts to neutralize itslef by transferring it's electrons to wall. This is what creates the attraction and causes the balloon to stick to the wall. (picture to come)